Driven by the desire to improve the productivity of machines and enabled by the strong growth of semiconductor and ICT technology, machine maintenance will undergo a digital transformation, called maintenance 4.0. Following decreasing hardware costs, the optimal strategy is shifting from periodic maintenance (time-based) towards condition-based maintenance (sensor-based). Although many condition monitoring technologies already exist, it is often still unclear which technology is most appropriate for a certain application due to the lack of factual operational data to validate these technologies.
Therefore, this living lab will provide an infrastructure for generating well-conditioned measurements data, with a known ground truth, where the possibility to induce realistic faults within in a broad operating range. This will enable evaluating existing and new condition monitoring technologies, such as advanced signal processing solutions and sensors.
For this living lab, we selected bearings as use case for failing components as these are crucial in a great many applications, for proper operation of the machine and prone to failure.
The living lab aims to provide an open platform that can be used to demonstrate maintenance 4.0 technologies.
The living lab will demonstrate the following technologies:
- 7 rotating setups for accelerated life tests on bearings
- Edge processing for capturing the raw data in one parameter indicating the bearing's condition
- Cloud infrastructure
- Machine learning algorithms generating a more detailed machine condition diagnosis by using the data from all 7 setups
- Dashboard to visualise the actionable maintenance information
In this living lab, measurement datasets on failing bearings under controlled conditions will be acquired.
In this way, the living lab will enable the adoption of condition monitoring technologies in the industry.
The demonstration of the different technologies should inspire companies to act and implement some of these technologies, thereby:
- improving their productivity;
- reducing unplanned downtime;
- reducing their inventory of spare parts;
- improving the reliability of their production line.
Come and talk to us about the possibilities for your company.
Project leader – firstname.lastname@example.org