The industrial partners of this project face the challenge to launch new safety-related E/E/PE-products at the right time and with minimal costs. These safety-related products are becoming increasingly complex (e.g. integrating more functions in different topologies), must cope with more demanding operating circumstances (e.g. due to increasing autonomy in driving), must be suited for customisation (to adapt to OEM specifications) and must fulfil evolving safety standards, leading to longer development times and higher costs for a good safety case.
The aSET methodologies will cover the first phases of the design process, from defining the requirements to the HW design (see figure below). The SW design and verification and validation testing are NOT part of the aSET-project, but the methodologies should allow extending towards these phases.
More specifically, the objectives of the project are:
- the development of a Formal Functional Safety model, implemented in a persistent way and enabling the intrinsic coupling of all Functional Safety artefacts imposed by ISO26262
- the development of a method and demonstrator tooling for the translation of textual requirements into mathematical equations, which can serve as a design contract for the actual hardware design and describe the functionality of E/E/PE so as to enable the automation of HARA using a functional E/E/PE-model and plant model
- the validation of these methods in a generic use case as well as in different industrial use cases demonstrating their functionality and the targeted design time and cost gains.
The envisaged aSET methodologies will enable
- product developers and manufacturers to perform reliable and fast HARA investigations, and to achieve a reduction in safety engineering time and verification and validation effort
- simulation tool vendors to incorporate the methodology into their commercial software packages
- engineering service providers to manage the formal process for safety-critical product developments with reduced effort.
Paola Campestrini - firstname.lastname@example.org