PhotonHub Experience Center
Within the framework of the PhotonHub Europe project B-PHOT has installed demonstration and experience centres. These experience centres are 3-day hands-on training courses aimed at people from the industry. As a core lab of Flanders Make, B-PHOT coordinates the Experience centre on Optics and Freeform optics. The first hands-on training is scheduled for 23 March 2022.
About the training
Lenses and mirrors are essential optical components in (non-)imaging systems and are currently used in all sectors of industry. In order to maximise system performance for volume production, optimisation of the optics design in high quality glass and plastic is essential.
In this 3-day course, industry engineers and product developers will gain the fundamental technical insights and skills in (free-form) optics design, prototyping, metrology and manufacturing. The course covers the key aspects of spherical and aspherical optical lenses and mirrors and highlights the unique advantages of freeform optical surfaces. We illustrate prototyping, production and optical testing through demonstrations and you will gain practical experience with state-of-the-art test alignment equipment.
Practical applications from various industry sectors serve as illustrations. This unique industrial 'hands on' training programme includes specific tutorials, teaching materials and guidance from technical experts. Participants have access to state-of-the-art facilities and can gain practical experience with top-of-the-line equipment.
Participants should preferably have a basic knowledge of optics, although this is not essential. The course is ideally suited for those who plan to use optical and free-form optical components for their specific imaging and non-imaging applications and want to learn how to deploy them through test lines.
When you've completed this hands-on training you can expect the results below:
- Basic knowledge of "first time right" optics and free-form optics design, including tolerance analysis and design for manufacturing; met inbegrip van tolerantie analyse en ontwerp voor fabricage;
- Insights in the unique advantages and applications of free-form optics compared to their conventional (a)spherical counterparts;
- Prototyping of optical components in glas and plastics of optical quality;
- Characterising and testing of optical components with high-end metrology instruments;
- Replicating of optical components in glas and plastics of optical quality.
- Date: 23 March 2022
- Location: VUB Photonics Campus, GOOIK, België
- Maximum 12 people per training
- Price: 750€ per person, including training material, lunch and diner