You create new prototype software tools that support innovative design methods of new machines and vehicles.
Develop prototype software tools with user centered design
At the early design phase of a new industrial machine, vehicle or mechatronic subsystem there are a huge number of potential designs. Designers rely still very little on computer generated and assessed concepts. These could however generate innovative out-of-the-box designs concepts and boost the speed of the design process.
To support industrial designers in innovation, Flanders Make will develop new software tools that can automatically generate design concepts. Equally important are software tools for the assessment and optimization of the generated designs.
For real-life industry designs (f.e. landing gear of airplane, complex vehicle exhaust system, active shock absorber, compressor …), you will develop new methodologies, create new software tools and user interfaces. You work together in a research team to :
- Capture the industrial needs and requirements of conceptual design of different mechatronic systems;
- Define the more adequate language and platform to create formal models for the different mechatronic systems;
- Create the formal design space model (objectives, constraints, design repository/ component database, …);
- Develop the framework to:
- automatically generate design concepts from the formal design space model;
- evaluate and optimize the generated design concepts;
- visualize the optimized design concepts to support the designer in his concept selection.
User interface expert with an interest in mechatronic design
- A Master in Engineering (Computer Science, Mechatronics,…);
- A Phd, postdoc or industry experience is a plus.
- Combined interest in both Computer Science and Mechatronics. This means you are able and willing to learn everything about:
- Domain-specific modelling languages and tools (SysML, Ecore, Express(-G), GrGen, OWL, Eclipse, Sirius, …) and ‘Concept architecture generation’ techniques, f.e. constraint programming and MIL programming.
- The architecture of mechatronic systems and dynamic programming (optimization techniques);
- Experience with at least one of the listed domains above is required.
- Knowledge of other modelling software (Simscape, Amesim, Matlab, Simulink, …) is a plus.
- Passionate about research and new technologies;
- A good conceptual thinker;
- Result oriented, responsible, self-directing;
- Team player;
- A good communicator;
- Eager to learn.
Work on highly innovative² concepts for highly innovative companies
- Flanders Make gives you the opportunity to develop yourself in the network of top industrial companies, universities, and research institutes;
- An open-minded, flexible, and challenging working environment;
- A warm atmosphere and top colleagues;
- An attractive salary with fringe benefits.
Flanders Make colleagues work together on projects in Belgium at site Lommel and at site Leuven (flexible workplace policy). Depending on your place of residence or preference, you can work in our offices in Lommel or in Leuven.
Learn more about working on research projects at Flanders Make in this movie: https://youtu.be/zXuIIosZbZE
How to apply?
Do you feel you can contribute to our research with your expertise? Do you share our values and our mission? We are looking forward to reading about your story, your interest in Flanders Make and for this job in particular. To apply, please send your motivation letter and cv to email@example.com