As a robotics research engineer, you develop control strategies for assembly and explore the opportunities offered by the “state of the art” of robot & cobot applications.
Companies aspiring to transition to Industry 4.0 collaborate with Flanders Make to develop their smart factory production systems where robots can work safely alongside humans. We design and develop prototype workcells for production systems.
Develop novel robot applications for industry 4.0 workcells
As an expert in robot control:
- you work together in a research team which combines expertise in software architectures, controls, sensing, and layout of workcells;
- with the team you address “assembly” challenges for real industry cases. The operator will be supported by cobots (KUKA LBR iiwa, ...), mobile robots (KUKA KMR iiwa, ...), two-armed robots (ABB Yumi, …), logistic robots and AGVs (for transporting goods and pallets), etc.
- you take the lead in the control of the robots.
More concretely, you:
- Explore the state of the art in collaborative robot applications: propose on pushing the state of the art such that it benefits the industry by improving the current solutions in terms of flexibility, productivity and safety;
- Specify and develop the online or realtime control strategy for the robots and cobots (position control; force control, impedence control), for component handling and gripping applications (suction cup, magnetic grabber, gripping hand…);
- Test and improve the operational functionalities (sensors, software, control strategies …).
Research oriented robot programming enthusiast
- Master or PhD in a relevant domain;
- Preferably 5 years of experience in research or industry;
- Reliable expertise in robot control;
- Experience in writing high quality code in C++ and Java and a good feel for Robot Programming;
- Affinity with simulations and modelling of robots (or production environments);
- A keen interest in machine assembly;
- Passionate about research and new technologies;
- Result oriented, responsible, self-directing;
- Open minded;
- Pro-active and taking initiative;
- Eager to learn.
Working with experts
- Flanders Make offers you the opportunity to develop yourself in a network of top industry players, universities and research institutes;
- An energetic, flexible and challenging working environment;
- A warm and open-minded atmosphere;
- Top colleagues that are expert in their domains opening doors for fruitful collaborations and learning;
- An attractive salary with fringe benefits.
Flanders Make colleagues work together on projects in Belgium at sites Lommel and Leuven (flexible workplace policy). Depending on your place of residence or preference, you can work in either site Lommel or in site Leuven.
Flanders Make is the strategic research centre for the manufacturing industry. Our mission is to strengthen the long-term international competitiveness of the Flemish manufacturing industry. That’s why we work together with SMEs and large companies on pre-competitive, industry-driven technological research, resulting in concrete product and production innovation in the vehicle industry, the manufacturing industry, and production environments.
This animation movie illustrates how Flanders Make sees operators functioning in the factory of the future, working side by side with cobots, and autonomous mobile robots :
Take a look at our research and our projects:
Convinced? Send your motivation letter and cv
Do you feel you can contribute to our Production Systems research with your expertise? Do you share our values and our mission? We are looking forward to reading about your story, your interest for Flanders Make and for this job in particular.
To apply, please send your motivation letter and cv to email@example.com