You invent new software tool prototypes that will support mechatronic system architects in the coordination of multidisciplinary engineering teams designing mechatronic product lines.
Conceive support tools for mechatronic system architects
During the development of a new vehicle or industrial machine, system architects try to keep the overview and maintain the design's consistency while electrical, mechanical, control designers do tests and suggest improvements to the system from their specific point of view. Unfortunately today's system architects cannot rely yet on software tools to support these tasks. Since mechatronic systems become increasingly complex, keeping the overview without computer support becomes untenable and results in design errors. Moreover, in a lot of companies an increasing number of product variants need to be designed at the same time. This further augments the complexity of the system architect's task.
To support system architects Flanders Make will develop software tool prototypes that can aid in establishing traceability and checking consistency between models used in the various design disciplines. Equally important is that the tools can better support the design of complete mechatronic product lines, including aspects such as the recovery/re-use of previously generated designs to produce new variants in a product family.
On real-life industry applications (f.e. compressor, industrial robot, forklift, autonomous vehicle…), you will:
- Work together in a research team that combines expertise in the development of software code, modelling & simulation algorithms, concept design, and system architecture;
- Take the lead in conceiving new software tools from scratch.
More concretely, you:
- investigate how to create explicit feature models representing variants in a mechatronic product line;
- conceive innovative ways of linking these feature models to design and analysis models used in the various engineering disciplines (Simulink, Modelica, …);
- ensure shorter development and validation cycles of mechatronic control software;
- research new methods and tools to ensure consistency between all models used during the product lines’ lifetime for instance when a bug is found that affects multiple variants;
Creative and conceptual mind
- A Master in Engineering (Computer Science, Mechatronics,…);
- Min. 4 years of relevant experience in an academic context (f.e. Phd) or in an industrial context (f.e. software architect or system architect);
- Experience as a system architect is a big plus;
- Combined interest in both Cyber-Physical Systems and Computer Science. This means you are able and willing to learn everything about:
- The physical and software architecture of cyber-physical systems
- Software tools supporting system architects in the development process of cyber-physical systems
- Experience with UML/SySML and/or Domain Specific Language design;
- Insight in the controller software development and validation process (MIL/SIL/HIL) is a big plus;
- Affinity with consistency management and/or product line engineering;
- Affinity with PLM tools is a plus.
- Passionate about research and new technologies;
- A good conceptual thinker;
- Result oriented, responsible, self directing;
- Team player;
- A good communicator;
- Eager to learn.
Work on cutting edge new technology development
Flanders Make gives you the opportunity to develop yourself in the network of top industrial companies, universities, and research institutes;
- An open-minded, flexible, and challenging working environment;
- A warm atmosphere and top colleagues;
- An attractive salary with fringe benefits.
Flanders Make colleagues work together on projects in Belgium at site Lommel and at site Leuven (flexible workplace policy). Depending on your place of residence or preference, you can work in our offices in Lommel or in Leuven.
Learn more about working on research projects at Flanders Make in this movie: https://youtu.be/zXuIIosZbZE
How to apply?
Do you feel you can contribute to our research with your expertise? Do you share our values and our mission? We are looking forward to reading about your story, your interest in Flanders Make and for this job in particular.
To apply, please send your motivation letter and cv to email@example.com