You use data analytics and machine learning techniques to predict machine behavior and derive the optimal settings for robots, autonomous vehicles and industrial machines.
Use computing power for high tech applications
Flanders Make research engineers are experts in developing new technologies for machines and vehicles. Automotive companies and machine builders in Flanders are looking for predictive control and data analytics for the next step to take in their innovation process.
What if you could predict machine failure by analyzing measurements?
Why do certain automotive parts result in better performance?
For the development of high tech machinery (f.e. compressor, 3D printer, self-guided robot, autonomous vehicle…), you will:
- Work together in a research team that combines expertise in artificial intelligence with the operation and control of machines and vehicles;
- Take the lead in developing predictive algorithms, to process the data and derive the optimal settings of the machine (Model Based Data Analytics).
More concretely, you:
- Understand the goal of the measurement campaign and discuss how to gather relevant data with the team (f.e. temperature signals, accelerometer signals, energy measurements, failure signals,…);
- Provide structure and insight into the raw data;
- Find ways to process the flow of data;
- Use current methods of data analytics, machine learning and deep learning techniques to search for relevant connections between input signals (f.e. which environmental factors could be influencing the energy efficiency of the machine?);
- Use and Model predictive algorithms and interpret the results;
- Draw conclusions and suggest improved parameters, for better performance or to influence the energy efficiency.
Statistical mind with passion for technology
- A Master or PhD degree in Engineering (Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Robotics…,…);
- At least 3 to 5 years of experience in an industrial or academic environment;
- Relevant experience with experimental design on a real life (non-virtual) technology application (machines, vehicles, robots,..);
- Knowledge of or the ability to use a wide range of methods in data analytics, machine learning (including but not exclusively deep learning), and data wrangling techniques, f.e. random forests, support vector machines, and (convolutional/recurrent/deep) neural networks);
- Experience with at least one machine learning toolkit (Scikit-learn, Mahout, SparkML, Caffe, Tensorflow, R, KNIME, ...) and Matlab/Octave.
- Knowledge of one general purpose programming language like Java, C#, C++.
- A mathematical and statistical mind with a touch of “Data Intuition”;
- Communication and Data Visualization skills are a plus.
- passionate about the technology of machines and vehicles;
- a good communicator;
- an active listener who can build sustainable relationships.
Live the next milestone for data analytics for high tech applications
- Flanders Make gives you the opportunity to develop yourself in the network of top industrial companies, universities, and research institutes;
- An open-minded, flexible, and challenging working environment;
- A warm atmosphere and top colleagues;
- An attractive salary with fringe benefits.
Flanders Make colleagues work together on projects in Belgium at site Lommel and at site Leuven (flexible workplace policy). Depending on your place of residence or preference, you can work in our offices in Lommel or in Leuven.
Flanders Make is the strategic research centre for the manufacturing industry. Our mission is to strengthen the long-term international competitiveness of the Flemish manufacturing industry. That’s why we work together with SMEs and large companies on pre-competitive, industry-driven technological research, resulting in concrete product and production innovation in the vehicle industry, the manufacturing industry, and production environments.
Because of our unique position between industry and research, our teams combine application and system proficiency with technological and scientific knowledge. We focus on 4 key competences, all based on modelling and virtualisation:
- Sensing, monitoring, control and decision-making for products and production
- (Co)design and optimisation of products and production
- Motion product specification, architecture, and validation
- Flexible assembly specification, architecture, and validation
We operate from our offices in Leuven and Lommel and from research facilities at the Flemish universities. Learn more about working at Flanders Make on www.flandersmake.be/jobs
How to apply?
Do you feel you can contribute to our research with your expertise? Do you share our values and our mission? We are looking forward to reading about your story, your interest in Flanders Make and for this job in particular.
To apply, please send your motivation letter and cv to email@example.com